The San Juan de Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. - Hospital, formerly HOSPITAL DE SAN JUAN DE DIOS, is the oldest hospital in the Philippines.
The living tradition of excellence and compassion, have established the Hospital's education programs that are inspired by the works, and actions of St. John of God, St. Vincent de Paul, and St. Louise de Marillac. With Christ as the Center of the SJDEFI-Hospital's staff development program, the institution gained invaluable opportunities to become efficient, effective, and productive members of the community, and responsible citizens of the country.
Check out our job openings:
We encourage our customers to contact us with their feedbacks, comments and suggestions.
The San Juan de Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. - Hospital, formerly HOSPITAL DE SAN JUAN DE DIOS, is the oldest hospital in the Philippines. The Hospital started when the Franciscan missionaries arrived in the country on June 24, 1578. Among them was a lay brother, Fray Juan Clemente who despite of his difficulty in learning the language of the natives devotedly studied the medicinal value of tropical plants in curing diseases of the sick and the poor. Consequently, the Franciscan porteria in Intramuros was converted into a dispensary. Later that year, Fray Juan Clemente built a nipa hut and bamboo hospital with two wards of 300 square meters each. Another ward was added when Fray Juan Fernandez de Leon arrived in 1590. He became the first hospital chaplain.
In April 16, 1594, the Confraternity of Mercy (Hermanidad de la Misericordia) was established to look for aids and support of the third ward. Eventually in 1596, it took charge of the hospital.
A fire in 1603 and an earthquake in 1645 drained the Confraternity's resources which made them decide to hand over the management of the hospital to the Brothers of St. John of God. It was then known as Hospital de San Juan de Dios.
The Brothers devoted themselves to the care of the sick and performed their task with zeal. The hospital was restructured and wards were named. In 1863, another earthquake destroyed the hospital. On August 29, 1866, the Spanish government ordered the transfer of the religious order to Cavite. The hospital was temporarily entrusted to the Council of Inspectors.
Two years later, the Council turned over the administration of the hospital to the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. This was in conformity with the Royal Order of Queen Isabella II of Spain.
In 1880, another earthquake partially destroyed the hospital but was rehabilitated two years later. During the Spanish period, most patients were indigents. With the advent of the American regime, the number of patients increased when 'pay patients' were admitted.
In 1913, the School of Nursing was established. It gained reputation as one of the best Nursing Schools during the Pre-World War period. In 1936, the Hospital de San Juan de Dios became the largest private hospital in the country. Haplessly, however, it was completely destroyed during the Liberation of Manila in 1945.
In 1952, the HOSPITAL DE SAN JUAN DE DIOS was relocated to its present site along then the Dewey (now Roxas) Boulevard. It was operated as a private tertiary hospital with an outpatient service section completely dedicated to servicing indigent patients.
In 1972, the departmentalization of the hospital began when it established the four clinical departments: Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics and Surgery. Training programs for residents were put up in 1979-1980. The Post-Graduate Intern Training Program started in 1981.
The HOSPITAL DE SAN JUAN DE DIOS became an Educational Foundation in 1991. It is now known as SAN JUAN DE DIOS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION INCORPORATED - Hospital or SJDEFI-Hospital, a non-stock, non-profit organization dedicated to help the poor. It has an authorized two hundred thirty (230) bed capacity.
1997 was a critical year for SJDEFI-Hospital. Challenged by the rising cost, increasing demand of customers and competition, it embarked on the Total Quality Management (TQM) Program under the guidance and consultancy of Professor Rene T. Domingo of the Asian Institute of Management (AIM).
The TQM program garnered good results. Continuous improvement (KAIZEN) projects were undertaken. Good housekeeping was improved with the implementation of the waste management and 5S program. Customer feedback was given attention and appropriate action was put into effect. Information was well disseminated. Consequently, customer were satisfied and delighted with new strategies and improved services.
The TQM initiative was a preview of things to come for SJDEFI-Hospital ' achieving an ISO certification. The vision widened its horizon; the mission brought bolder challenge to the institution.
On February 8, 2002, SJDEFI-Hospital obtained its ISO 9001:2000 certification from TUV Product Service (Suuddeustchland). Nine months after, its successfully obtained its ISO 14001:1996 and OHSAS 18001:1999 certification. This distinct achievement has earned for SJDEFI-Hospital the title of being the first hospital in Asia to be certified by TUV Product Service in the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series and the first hospital to obtain triple certification (ISO 9001:2004 - Quality; ISO 14001:1996 - Environment; OHSAS 18001:1999 ' Occupational Health & Safety).
Through the years, the hospital witnessed the influx of new services as well as various service enhancements aimed at continuously providing better health and medical care to its valued customers. Among these were the establishment of the Hearing Center, Sleep Laboratory, Oncology and Mammography service and Sto. Ni'o Pediatric Ward. The Hemodialysis Unit has likewise expanded its services.
In 2003, Jaime Cardinal L. Sin Building was opened primarily for Out-patient Service and Service Wards in order to continue serving the poorest of the poor in our society. In the following year, Saint Peregrine Radiation Therapy Unit and Fray Juan Clemente Holistic Health Center were also opened to supplement and complement its other services.
June 28, 2006 marks another milestone in the history of SJDEI Hospital as certification on ISO 14001 was upgraded to 2004 version by TUV Product Service. It further demonstrated its social commitment when it opened the Diabetes Education Center and Public Private Mix-Directly Observed Treatment Short Course (PPM-DOTS) Clinic to serve various clientele.
The hospital, despite its modern architecture and up-to-date facilities, is steeped in tradition. Its history of charity in the Philippines grew with the nation's growth. It owes its existence to countless generations of men and women who labored and spent their fortune to provide charity, the rewards of which were far more precious than material wealth and honor. The verdict of more than four centuries has proven that.
As we quest for continual improvement, the Hospital changed its Certifying Body from TUV Product Service (Suuddeustchland) to International Standards Certification (ISC) Philippines, Inc. on February 14, 2008. ISC Philippines conducted the first Integrated Management System audit in San Juan de Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. - Hospital on March 25 to 28, 2008.
Upgraded versions for ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001 were released on July 1, 2007 to replace the existing standards ISO 9001:2000 and OHSAS 18001:1999. Numerous improvements have been made to the new standards but one of the main features is that it have been modified to make it more aligned to the ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001:2004 standards so that the Hospital can now have truly integrated management systems. Consequently, the Hospital applied for and was certified with the upgraded versions of the standards ISO 9001:2008 and OHSAS 18001:2007 in June 16, 2008.
On August 13, 2009, another bold challenge was faced by SJDEFI-Hospital when it prepared to comply with the enhanced requirement of the PhilHealth Accreditation Standard. It gave way to the review and implementation of improvement in the aspect of structure, process and people complementing to the existing ISO practiced standards.
On November 1, 2009, the Hospital had its major organizational restructuring as a result of the System Review and Organizational Chart Review in May 13, 2009 and October 26, 2009, respectively.
The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PHIC) began the implementation of its new accreditation process in January 2010. Thus, on March 3-4, 2010, the Hospital was surveyed and audited based on Benchbook Self-Assessment and Accreditation Process Performance Indicators.
With the tremendous support and cooperation of everyone, the Hospital was given a Center of Excellence certificate on July 9, 2010 covering a three-year accreditation from May 1, 2010 to April 30, 2013. With the cooperation and involvement of all staff in the preparation for the Benchbook Audit, on September 16, 2011 the Hospital was among the 54 Hospitals awarded as Center of Excellence by Philippine Health Insurance Corporation
On July 15, 2010, the Hospital became a member of the Technical Working Group (TWG) for the review of Healthcare Waste Management Policies and Manual of Guidelines through Department Personnel Order No. 2010- 3114 of the Department of Health (DOH). One of the components of the project is the review of existing policies in the light of project experiences, international and national developments and the revised guidelines on healthcare waste management published by the World Health Organization (WHO).
The TWG was tasked to review technical guidance from the United Nations Development Programme - Global Environmental Facility (UNDP-GEF) Global Project Team, the revised WHO bluebook on healthcare waste management, international agreements and other technical guidance on healthcare waste management and mercury phase-out. Also, to enhance and update the existing DOH policies and manual of guidelines on healthcare waste management and to harmonize its policies, rules and regulations pertaining to healthcare waste management of different agencies.
On August 27, 2010, the Hospital was given an Intellectual Property Certificate valid for twenty (20) years for the Needle Recapper Tray as an invention. The Needle Recapper Tray is an established operational control to eliminate the incidence of needle prick injury among healthcare professionals.
The institution also commemorates the 350th Death Anniversary of two of its Patron Saints namely, Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac, the founder and co-founder of the Daughters of Charity, respectively from September 2009 to September 2010.
On December 14, 2010, the Laguna Lake Development Authority (LLDA) awarded the Hospital with a BLUE RATING on its Environmental Management System. The award is based on the Hospital’s performance with regard to its adherence to environmental regulations and effluent standards of the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources (DENR).
Believing that safety of patient is a paramount concern of the Hospital, on May 23, 2012 the management purchased an electrical safety analyzer, 8-in-1 prosim used in calibrating medical equipment to ensure that accuracy and quality of measurements are defined in all medical equipment for accurate diagnosis and patient management.
On July 20, 2012, the Hospital honored the 150th arrival of the Daughters of Charity (DC) and the Congregation of the Mission (CM) in the Philippines. As a form of response to the four Provincial Priorities of the Daughters of Charity (DC), the banner project of the Hospital was focused on Corporate Social Responsibility.
Despite the scarcity of financial resources, the Management was able to materialize the procurement of a 16-slice Computed Tomography (CT) Scanner on September 19, 2012 for a faster, more detailed, comprehensive and enhanced radiology service. The scanner is capable of producing images of the body from different angles to show cross-section of bone, organs and soft tissues.
The effect of economic crisis was also felt by the Hospital, thus as a response to the challenging mission to provide excellent customer service despite limited resources, the Hospital begun the implementation of various management strategies in Year 2013 such as: out-sourcing of Laundry services (April 16, 2013); restructuring of Training Program to make certain delivery of quality healthcare services through provision of competent, qualified and skilled personnel. The former Intensive Clinical Training (ICT) was changed to Clinical Nursing Development Program (CNDP) which added 1 month to give time to novice nurses in administering medication and allow extensive exposure to the clinical areas; changing the Janitorial Service provider (October 1, 2013) to continually improve provision of housekeeping services; implementation of the new Hospital Information System (HIS), the Bizbox (November 4, 2013) with an aim of fully integrating front end transactions to back end accounting.
The Hospital, despite its modern architecture and up-to-date facilities, is steeped in tradition. Its history of charity in the Philippines grew with the nation’s growth. It owes its existence to countless generations of men and women who labored and spent their fortune to provide charity, the rewards of which were far more precious than material wealth and honor. The verdict of more than four centuries has proven that.
(Rev. 03 Effective August 15, 2016)
The Foundation -Hospital envisions to become a Christ- Centered and innovative health care service provider through transformative culture of excellence committed to evangelized healing and compassionate quality care
(Rev. 03 Effective August 15, 2016)
As living witnesses to Christ-Centered gospel values, we commit ourselves to:
Revision: 06 Effective August 15, 2017
Christ-Centered and innovative health care service provider that will:
Revision: 05 Effective February 19, 2014
Interested applicants may submit resume and credentials to HRD Office, 4th floor, Annex Building, SJDEFI-Hospital from 8:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M., Monday to Friday except holidays. (Tel No. 8-551-92-28) or send to firstname.lastname@example.org