(Updated as of July 23, 2018)
We understand that medical information about you and your health is personal, and we are committed to protecting it. A record of the healthcare and services you receive at the San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc Hospital is created and maintained by the Hospital Information Management System. This notice applies to all of those records of your care.
We are required by law specifically Republic Act 10173 or the Data Privacy Act of 2012 to:
- Make sure that medical information that identifies you is kept private.
- Provide you this Notice of our legal duties and privacy practices regarding your medical information.
Purpose of This Privacy Notice
This Notice of Privacy describes how we may use and disclose your protected health information to carry out diagnostic procedures, manage treatment plans, initiate payment, or conduct health care operations and for other purposes that are permitted or required by law.
The Notice describes your rights to access and control your protected health information. "Protected health information" is information about you, including demographic information, that may identify you and that relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health condition and related health care services.
We respect your personal information and therefore, we will take steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
Please be assured that we will not use your information for any of the purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish us to use your information in this way.
Security of your personal data
Your personal data is controlled by San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. – Hospital. We have implemented technology and policies with the objective of protecting your privacy from unauthorized access and improper use and will update these measures as new technology becomes available, as appropriate.
Who Will Follow This Notice
This Notice describes the practices regarding the use of your medical information by the San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. – Hospital and by:
- Any health care professional authorized to enter information into your medical record at the San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. – Hospital, including without limitation, the members of the Hospital’s medical staff, who are participants in an organized health care arrangement with the Hospital for privacy purposes.
- All Divisions, Sections, Departments and Units of the San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. – Hospital clinics you may visit.
- Any member of affiliating group we allow to help you while you are in the hospital or in a San Juan De Dios Educational Foundation, Inc. – Hospital clinic.
- All employees, staff and other personnel who may need access to your information
What information is collected about you?
- Personal Information like name, address, contact numbers, email address, credit card, and others that you provide for us to create a patient profile.
- We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. If you would like to review, change or delete the details you have supplied us with, please contact us as set out below or update this every time you visit our Hospital.
How We May Use and Disclose Medical Information About You
The following categories describe ways that we use and disclose medical information. Examples of each category are included. Not every use or disclosure in each category is listed; however, all of the ways we are permitted to use and disclose information fall into one of these categories:
- For Treatment: We may use medical information about you to provide, coordinate, or manage your medical treatment or services. We may disclose medical information about you to physicians or health care providers who are or will be involved in taking care of you. For example, your protected health information may be provided to a physician to whom you have been referred to ensure that the physician has the necessary information to diagnose or treat you.
- For Payment: We may use and disclose medical information about you so that the treatment and services you receive at our Hospital may be billed to and payment may be collected from you, an insurance company, or a third party. We may also tell your health plan about a treatment you are going to receive to obtain prior approval, to determine whether your plan will cover the treatment, and for undertaking utilization review activities. For example, obtaining approval for a hospital stay may require that your relevant protected health information be disclosed to the health plan to obtain approval for the hospital admission.
- For Healthcare Operations: We may use or disclose, as needed, your protected health information in performing certain business activities of the Hospital, which are called healthcare operations. Some examples of these operations include our business and management activities, quality assessment activities, employee review activities, training of students, and conducting or arranging for other business activities.
How can you contact us?